Saturday 9 August 2008

Walk: Mon. Aug. 11 @ Loblaws

We made a dramatic image as we set out on our 18K on Saturday. And we did it, returning to Tim's with a righteous glow. Way to go!

Special accolades to those who weren't even training for an event. You know you're hooked* when the thought of turning back for 10K and walking 5K by yourself is more daunting than doing the full 18K with your friends. (*Hooked is only one of many possible adjectives.)

If you're counting, the pedometer on my new cell phone -- who knew there were such things? -- marked off over 23,500 steps this morning.

While the Wow group have their 2nd-last class on Monday, others will be meeting at Loblaws at 7 pm. This will be our last week of long walks before Quebec: 8K, 13K, 8K (although the Midsummer's Night Dreamers next weekend will be mixing it up a little bit: 8K, 8K, 15K). Look for routes posted in the right column of our website.

As a final note, I've been authorized to let you know about Brette's husband David, who was in a freak accident on his motorbike last weekend when he connected with a leaping deer. I'm relieved to report that, despite a broken jaw and a fractured vertebra, plus scrapes and contusions (and lots of anxiety for the family), David should have a full, albeit lengthy, recovery. When Maria spoke with Brette yesterday, they expected him to be released from hospital today. Please join me in sending our very best wishes to Brette, David and their family. Hope everything goes smoothly, Brette. We'll be thinking of you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done eight. teen. Kers!!!Sorry I missed you all this morning... overslept. So, instead, I set out from here at 8:30 and came upon some JeansMarines newbie walkers right at my front door. They were headed back to High Park. So tagged along for 5-6K, then turned back. Brought back old memories; was great. Next two weeks they're going really long (30+K), so James & I will set up our water & oranges station again, right in front of our Harbourfront condo. This will be our third year bemusing our neighbours. LOL!\
Hugs,
Michelle.

P Dawn said...

Suprisingly, I'm not as sore as I ought to be today!!!
I won't be at Loblaw's on Monday (WOW class).
Thinking ahead to Wed from Shoppers, I looked at both the 13k routes (thanks, Helen) and wondered if anyone might be interested in the park route for a change??

Anonymous said...

23,500 steps...WOW!
Good news about Brette's husband David; thanks for the update, and wishing him a smooth recovery.
I won't be out on Monday night, as Steve and I will be celebrating our 7th anniversary; 7 years, and holding!
I will be out on Wed night for the 13k; so see you all then,
Olwyn

Jan said...

I own't be out tonight - scrambling to get a few things done before I go away on Friday. I hope to be out on Wednesday though.
Dawn - the park route sounds like a good idea for a change - count me in.
Happy Anniversary Olwyn - enjoy!
Brette sorry to hear about your husband's accident but glad to hear he is doing okay - wish him a speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

I plan on being at Loblaws on Monday, so hope to see someone else there... great news about David
Leverne

Eva said...

Brette,
Wishing your husband a speedy recovery.

Olwyn,
Happy 7th anniversary and many more...

eva