Wednesday 20 June 2018

Walks - Saturday June 23 - Wednesday June 27

Git'r Done - Midnight Sun Rain Half Marathon - Tromso Norway
Congratulations Arlene & Libby
Inspiration plus - way to go - well done!

Join us on Saturday at Tim's at 800 a.m. for whatever distance suits you....6, 8, 10??? Coffee with friends is your reward. For anyone thinking about the Halifax half, your training starts next week.

Sunday walkers meet at the Running Room on Queen St. at 8:30 am.
Daytime walkers coordinate through Charlotte or Lou Ann.
Evening walks are at 6:30 pm, Monday (Loblaws) and Wednesday (Occasions).
Walk slow; walk fast; walk long; walk short - just get out and do it.

Join in; sign in - love to see you walking the streets - did that sound right?

Announcements & Updates: from Libby & Arlene - Norway race - Midnight Sun is a myth! We did 21.1k in the Arctic Rain. We had rain and strong winds plus hills..really just inclines according to those from Norway! We were pleased with our time of 2:58 and we were the only walkers in the race..and close to oldest competitors. This is a race of strong young competitors by in large. It is really well supported by the locals, even at 1:30in the morning. Despite the weather, it was a fun race. Making  those of us at home so proud!

from Norma: Grouse Mountain - the ultimate in hill training – a 3km vertical trail with an elevation gain of 2800 feet.  Some Vancouverites do it every morning as part of their daily fitness routine. It is the second time David and I have hiked up the mountain.  The first time was 20 years ago. Thrilled that we can still do it!  The Grouse Grind, another trail, is known as Nature’s Stairmaster! Way to go, Norma and David!  I've seen that climb but never had the courage to try it.

from Olwyn:  Santa Claus Parade; I’ve just signed up for this year’s parade which is on Sunday November 18. Consider joining the fun; it’s a 6k walk, but a slow one; but it makes thousands of people and kids happy, so what’s not to love?  I’ve had the pleasure of being a big blue fuzzy bunny-rabbit, a snowman, a Snow Queen, and one year I got to walk beside Santa Claus as a Santa Guard!  Last year I had to cancel at the last minute, as I was invited to a friend’s wedding which was on parade day, so I missed out being a chicken….maybe this year I’ll get lucky! (When Olwyn talks about getting lucky, .... yikes - where is this going?)

David on Grouse

Helen - we hope your arm is healing and not too sore - hope to see you out again soon. 

I am signing off for a few weeks and Helen (or delegate) is taking over the blog while I'm away - thanks Helen. The hikers (Dianne, Ruth and Susan) are going to put our hiking hill training to the test.


22 comments:

Trish said...

Wow! what a group we have. I hope to be out Saturday morning, weather permitting. I know there is no such thing as bad weather just bad equipment, however... I won't be out again until July 21 though I hope to get some walking in while I am away. Off to Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver. Happy Summer and have a great weekend everyone.

Olwyn said...

Bravo to everyone for their amazing accomplishments! Susan, just exactly what are you implying,by the way...! If anyone is interested in signing up for the Santa Clause Parade, I can forward a link to you. I won't be out this Saturday, but planning on seeing everyone next weekend at Tim's at 8. Have a great walk, weekend, and week! Safe travels Trish; what a fun summer you have!

Dranna said...

I will wait until the morning to commit. Right now the weather is not looking hopeful.

Eva said...

Congratulations to Arlene and Libby!!! Amazing accomplishment. 😊
Will check on the weather tomorrow, Saturday, to commit to walk. Have a great weekend.

Sharon KJ said...

I took a toddler to the zoo yesterday and I have not recuperated. She is just fine. I hope to rest tomorrow and maybe stay in bed a little longer.

Congratulations to Libby and Arlene. Wish the very best to Ruth, Diane and Susan.

SKJ

Lou-Ann said...

I plan on being out tomorrow, but of course weather permitting. Libby and Arlene you two are amazing...well done ladies, hope you now are enjoying some travel time. Speaking of travel time, Susan, Diane and Ruth happy hiking...yours sounds a little grueling to me, but I am sure you will have a fabulous time!

Barbara Brown said...

Congratulations to Libby and Arlene, It looks like you had a fabulous walk. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Happy hiking to Ruth, Susun and DIane,
I will not be out this morning, Finishing up the move out and move in!
See you next Saturday, have a good walk and week,

P Dawn said...

Ill be there today.

Deanna said...

I will not be walking this morning. See you everyone next week.

Eva said...

I did an all nighter. Will go back to sleep. Hope to see everyone next week. 😊

Anonymous said...

I will be out this morning too.

Barb S.

Trish said...

I am just so tired that I am going to give myself this morning off. Have a great weekend everyone.

Helen said...

I am giving a talk in Long Branch this morning, so I won’t be out, and Bob is driving me, because shifting gears is still a little much for me. Congratulations to all our amazing walkers.

Jan said...

I am hoping to walk tonight - anybody else?

Anonymous said...

i'll be out tonight Jan
Leverne

Helen said...

Bob and I will be out on Monday. See you at 6:30 at Loblaws.

Unknown said...

I plan to be there. Marian

Anonymous said...

I'm still a bit jet-lagged but wouldn't mind a leisurely stroll this evening,
Lynne

Helen said...

I have a meeting this afternoon from 3:30 to 5, so whether I can sign in for Wednesday evening in time is TBD. Much depends on whether the weather be wet... If there's risk of lightning or floods, I won't be walking.

Anonymous said...

I won't be out tonight,
Leverne

Jan said...

Just looked at the clock - still at a client's! and it's 6:25 so I guess I won't be there!

Helen said...

Well, obviously my meeting ran late. Just got home, so I guess we're not walking.