Monday 24 June 2013

Walks: Sat-Wed, June 22-26

Helen has a word or two to say about gardening
So this might be my last blog post – one of over 600 I've written since the Shore Things blog came to life back in December 2007. I'll be passing the blogging baton along to Susan and enjoying life as a Shore Things civilian, though you might hear from me as back-up from time to time.

With no further ado: Saturday's walk features 14K for the Dubliners, and 12K for those doing the Midsummer. (Next week we begin the Ottawa schedule, too.) 7:30 am start, anyone? Sign in and have your say.

Monday and Wednesday, both groups have 8K and 10K. Wednesday evening will be from Occasions at 7 pm, and Jan and/or Trish will be planning a route – possibly with hills in it. I'll leave you gals to sort that out.

Congratulations to Norma and David for their very wet, hilly 10K in Barrie last Sunday. Norma's report:
As you can tell by the photos, it was a wet and soggy race on Sunday, albeit fun with some pretty landscapes along the route.  Neither of us were counting on the number of small hills and gradual inclines we encountered.  Nothing like the Beach hills but an upward grind all the same.  There was also a lot of puddle jumping and if you missed, well that just meant squishy shoes!  David ran the entire 10K clocking in at 1:01 and I power-walked it in 1:18.  There was no walkers category but they do welcome walkers.  The medal is the most useful I have seen.  It is a magnet and perfect for displaying on the refrigerator!
Thanks for representing, you two.

Birthday wishes go out to Greg – who happens to have the same birthday as our soon-to-be 20-year-old. Hope it's a great birth day for both of you.

Cheers, everyone. Welcome, Summer! And to all our teachers and administrators, happy last week of classes.


23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photo Helen!
I'll be at Tim's at 7.30, but won't do 12...

Val

Olwyn said...

Well said, Helen; and thanks for your 600 plus posts over the years!
I'll be out in the morning; either 7:30 or 8:00, depending on when the alarm goes off! Congrats to Norma and David on your wet 10k; it still looks good on you!

Trish said...

600 posts and I have enjoyed reading them all!
I won't be out tomorrow but will aim for Wednesday at Occassions. I will plan a 6k (for me with fewer hills) and a 10k with a few more).

Lou-Ann & Dawn said...

This post is from Dawn and Lou-Ann, we are walking at 8:00 from Tims. See you there. Congrats to Norma and David and birthday wishes to Greg.

Anonymous said...

I'll be out at 7:30 and hope to do the longer distance of the two.

I can't imagine having enough words, thoughts and ideas for 600 posts....ohmigoodness, what have I agreed to do?

Susan

Helen said...

I'd like to get the early start for our 14K on Saturday. See you at 7:30.

Susan, it took me 6.5 years to get to 600 posts. Can you believe that our blog will be 7 years old in December!

Jan said...

I'm up for 730

Helen said...

Bumped this post back to the top again, so we're all commenting in the same place.

Susan says she's skipping tonight (Monday) due to the heat.

I'm likewise tempted, but I could be convinced by any keeners, as I'll be missing two walks this weekend.

Anonymous said...

I am undecided. I'll let you know once I get home around 6ish.

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Too hot for me. Perhaps see you Wed if not too hot.
Lynne

Helen said...

In light of the extreme heat alert, I've revised my position and will be staying home/cool.

Unsure yet about Wednesday, as I leave very early Thursday morning -- depends on how well prepared I am, workwise.

Jan said...

Since there seems to be a movement to stay home I think I'll stay home also, even though I'm missing Wednesday, not to mention the next 2 weeks. I am in a bit of a panic anyway about work I need to get done before I go away too.

Sharon KJ said...

It is rather warm, isn't it? Hopefully we'll see you on Wednesday.

Sharon

Anonymous said...

It's too hot for me tonight. See you Wednesday.
Leverne

Trish said...

So, I mispoke when I said I would be out Wednesday night. Too many trips to chiro and massage. Told it will get better. Jan has promised a route. Hope the humidity breaks soon.

Libby said...

Arlene and I would like to come out for the Wednesday walk. Could someone sign in if they plan to walk and if they plan to meet at Occasions. Thanks

Jan said...

I won't be out tonight- family commitments - but I have created a 10K Hill route - just got to figure out how to attach it....

Olwyn said...

I won't be out tonight, and Saturday morning I'm doing the Pride run/5k with Charlotte, so see everyone next week! Stay cool!

Anonymous said...

I'll come Wednesday night only if others are brave enough with the heat. I see Libby and Arlene will come too.

Anyone else? please....I can't keep up with them....please...

Susan

Anonymous said...

Leverne & I are not interested in doing hills tonight but wouldn't mind a walk down closer to the lake. Anyone else interested in meeting at Tim's?

Lynne

Libby said...

Arlene Ruth and i plus Susan will be at Tim's at 7. Better idea than the hills mid town
Hope to see Lynne and Laverne

Helen said...

Hi, everyone, I won't be out on Wednesday (or Saturday or Monday). Still have to finish packing/work before leaving tomorrow. Walk safely!

Sharon KJ said...

I have no wheels! And I won't be out on Saturday, either. Stay cool and hydrate, you brave souls.

See you soon.
Sharon