Thursday 13 June 2013

Walks: Sat-Wed, June 15-19

Top three walkers at last Sunday's Alfie Shrub 8K. Arlene and Libby took 1st & 2nd,
and Margy finished 3rd with a PB and a blazing pace of 7:38. Woot, gals!
Rainer modestly notes he ("the old boy") came in first walker in the 5K. Yay, Shore Things.
Saturday, for those who are joining us, we meet at Sunnybrook for what looks like an interesting walk, followed by brunch at Libby's. By now, you have either received Libby's invitation or my repost through our private group network. If you haven't RSVPd to Libby yet, do it now, silly.

The 6K group (though it says 10K on the schedule) will start at 8 am, and the 12K Dublin group has decided that 7:30 am is quite early enough, thank you. I've indicated my suggestion for the 12K route (or thereabouts) in my email. Let us know your preference in the comments.

As always when there's an alternative meeting place, some might prefer to walk from Tim's. Please sign in to say if you'll be doing this, so that no one shows up to find themselves walking alone.

Monday and Wednesday, both Dubliners and Midsummer-ers have 8K then 6K. Wednesdays with hills from Occasions seems to becoming a habit. Hills are our friend, hills are our friend! It's only 6K.

This weekend, we wish all the fathers amongst us a very happy Father's Day! And then, after we turn the corner of the week, it'll be Happy Birthday, Rainer. Hope you all enjoy your special days.

Dawn has asked me to post the list of volunteers who'll be stepping in to keep our club going. Thanks to you all! Please let Dawn, our club coordinator, know if you have any questions. These positions might evolve as we go and as we grow:
  • Coordinator - Dawn (keeping a coordinating eye on everyone and everything)
  • Blogger - Susan (keeping you informed every week)
  • Race Scheduler, Interest List - Libby (let her know when you sign up for races)
  • Web Managers - Lou-Ann and Sharon (will keep our website behind the scenes up to date)
  • Route Planners - Trish and Jan (will be who you grumble to… not!)
  • Events/Social Committee - Barbara B and Leverne (keeping it fun)
  • Administrative - Sheila (keeping track of miscellaneous things, like t-shirt orders)
  • Photography - Olwyn and Eileen (making us look beautiful)
  • Moneybags - Charlotte (keeping up the good work)
  • Helen - still doing the Shore Things books and calendars
Finally, in case you missed it, Norma's robins made the Beach Metro News. Check out the link.

18 comments:

Lou-Ann said...

Yahoo, I'm the first to congratulate the Elfie ladies (7:38 my brain doesn't even go that fast...wow!) and our "man", way to go!!!!!!!!!! And the same man, best wishes for a Happy Birthday on Wednesday. I will be walking with the Sunnybrook 8:00 group and then off to Libby's!

P Dawn said...

I am looking forward to tomorrow's new route and brunch afterwards. I'll be doing the 6k.

Congrats to the Alfie Shrub winners. One day, perhaps, I'll be a winner in a race - but it will have to be a race of one person only!

Olwyn said...

Dawn, every time anyone does a race they're a winner; so there! Congrats to the Alfies; and Happy B'day Rainer. I'll be there at Sunnybrook for the 6k, and looking forward to the brunch afterwards at Libby's. See everyone tomorrow!

Trish said...

I am sorry to be missing the walk this weekend. Sounds like an interesting route. Thanks Ruth. I am headded to Ottawa for a family event Have a great brunch.

Sharon KJ said...

Anyone going to start at 7:30 for the longer walk and hills (which I would like to do) from Libby's?

Sharon

Helen said...

We haven't really discussed where we're going to start, but I was assuming we'd park in the lot at Sunnybrook and do the hill repeats. However, we could meet up with Sharon at Libby's -- what about the rest of you Dubliners?

Sharon KJ said...

As I am not familiar with the area I'll show up at Sunnybrook for 8, instead.

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Great event on Sat and great route. My thanks to all involved and to Helen for all her contributions.

I won't be out on Monday - working late.

Susan

Olwyn said...

Thanks to Libby and Greg; what a delightful event! And YAY Helen!
I won't be out tonight (Monday), but plan on walking on Wednesday, from Occassions at 7? Hills and Beer!

Helen said...

Hope to be out Monday evening. Susan is working, Bob has report cards and Jan is still TBC. Does anyone want to walk from my place -- if it isn't thunder and lightning?

Jan said...

TBC?? To Be Coerced?? Conned? Coddled?? Confined?? Confounded?? All of the above??!!

I think I'll be able to come out - and I don't mind walking from here or from Loblaws, though here would be more convenient.

Helen said...

Jan, you are To Be Cherished for all the times I've depended on you for a ride. And for your excellent company, always.

Anonymous said...

We should be at Loblaws at 7 tonight, Lynne, Leverne and Frances- providing it doesn't start raining

Sharon KJ said...

I'll be out tonight to walk from Loblaws.
Sharon

Helen said...

Looks like I'll be out tonight to walk from Loblaws, too.

Jan said...

okay - I need to get out of my chair so Helen I'll pick you up normal time

Anonymous said...

Wednesday night from Occasions - traffic permitting. Don't wait for me, but I plan to be there if possible.

Really, Olwyn, beer? Just hills for me. Never did learn to drink beer...

Susan

Sharon KJ said...

I'll be out to Occasions, too!

Sharon