Thursday 28 February 2013

Walks: Sat-Wed, March 2 to 6

2004 was the first year for the Shore Things. See familiar faces?
A reminder about Saturday – we'll have two locations. First is our usual Tim's. Second is High Park, meeting at the Grenadier Restaurant. Both are at 8 am. I don't know how clear either of the paths will be, but we'll work it out. Those doing the High Park walk should print yourself a copy of this map. 8-10K is our hoped for distance – your distance may vary.

We're now on the training schedule for the May 5th races. 10K for Saturday, but we might be forgiven if the roads are too slushy. Monday and Wednesday, the distance is 8K.

Since I announced my retirement last week, I've head murmurings of blog anxiety. Please don't be afraid of the blog. Writing it is no more high-tech than writing a document in Word. Less, in many ways. Plus, a) I will show you how, and b) I'll still be around to do anything complicated.

Next, what may make sense going forward is:
  • have a committee, rather than a single leader. Each committee member would handle a small part of club management. We already do this to some extent (social committee, volunteers, &c.)
  • heading the committee would be a coordinator (doesn't have to be the blogger), who keeps track of what others are doing and occasionally nag. 
  • the committee would together coordinate planning for the year (I could act as an advisor for the first year, if you want)
  • terms would be short for the coordinator and/or committee (1-2 years?), so that no one feels they're taking the role on forever
  • things that need to be done (that aren't already covered) include: route mapping; training schedules; weekly blog post; &c.
So please step up. We could have a meeting of the curious (!) to hash things over – no obligation. I want to make it all as painless as possible. Be assured, most of the hard work has already been done.

I don't think we have any birthdays this weekend, but we have Arlene, Margy, Rainer and Ruth doing the Chilly Half. I'm sure a group like that will really shine for the Shore Things! Fleet feet, friends!

23 comments:

Helen said...

Oops, forgot about Doc Soup on Wednesday. Do any of the Doc Soupers want to walk on Thursday evening?

P Dawn said...

I am still not wakable, but hope to be within another couple of weeks.

Olwyn said...

I remember that photo, Helen; great memories! I will plan to join the Thursday crowd for a walk next week; from Shoppers, I assume.
I will be taking the subway from Coxwell on Sat morning to get to High Park; anyone else want to join me, I'll leave the station about 7:15am, which will give us time to get to High Park and to walk to the Grenadier restaurant.

Helen said...

Actually, if you're doing the High Park route, download this map instead. It's the Harry's 8K route.

http://canadarunningseries.com/springrunoff/hsroto_8kmap.pdf

Helen said...

Not sure why that link isn't working. Copy and paste it into your browser.

Anonymous said...

I plan to walk on Sat. but prefer to walk from Tim's (so I don't have to drive far). Will anyone else be there? I hope a few walkers will stay behind....
And, to the rest of you, enjoy High Park.
Susan

Libby said...

Arlene and i plan to be in High Park for 8 am. I would like to do 10K but as Arlene is doing the Chilly the next day, we may shorten this? The roads in High Park will be clear but paths may have some slippery spots.The Martin Goodman trail is always cleared and could also be an option if required- easily accessible from the park. See some of you at 8!

Ruth said...

I plan to come out to High Park. I'll aim for the Coxwell station at 7:15, but don't wait for me. I don't want to make anyone else late.

Ruth

Anonymous said...

I plan on going to High Park and have room for two in my car. I can pickup from Coxwell subway. I will pickup around 7:30am, so just let me know if you want a ride.
Leverne

Barbara said...

I plan to be in High Park tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be too icy!

Trish said...

I am hoping to be at High Park tomorrow. Mornings haven't been my friend lately, but will think positive and try and get the lead out.

Lou-Ann said...

I so want to go to High Park too as the last time I went with the Shore Things I truly enjoyed it (breakfast too), however I am not able to go this time so I will be at Tim's for 8:00, then a quick coffee and then I'm off! Have fun your High Parkers!

Anonymous said...

Not enough time for High Park, I'll be at Tim's in the morning.
Sheila

Anonymous said...

I have an appointment after the walk and so it is Tim's for me. See you then.

SKJ

Olwyn said...

Helen and Bob, I'll be at your place about 7:15am; should I wake you up? Looking forward to the High Park walk, followed by brunch. Happy walking to everyone going from Tims!

Anonymous said...

I'm having some foot pain, so I will not be out walking.
Barb Shand

Anonymous said...

I plan to be at Loblaws at 7:00 tonight. Hope to see some of you then.
Susan

Anonymous said...

I won't be out tonight, work commitments and it's Hot Docs on Wed so won't see everyone until Saturday.
Lynne

Helen said...

Due to Bob's schedule and our lack of wheels, we'll be walking from home on Monday. Sorry to miss you.

We'll also be at Doc Soup on Wednesday, so some of us will be walking on Thursday evening, probably from our house again. Let us know if you want to join us.

If we don't see you then, we'll see you all Saturday.

Olwyn said...

I won't be out tonight either, but plan to join the crowd on Thursday night, from Helen's house. Safe walking to all!

Anonymous said...

I'll check back at 6:30 Monday night to see if anyone has signed up for Loblaws. If not, I'll just walk from home.

Somebody, somebody, please sign in....
Susan

Jan said...

Many many thanks to everyone for your thoughts and emails. Thinking of you all and hope we're home and Ray is healthy soon.

Helen said...

Hi, friends – a reminder about Doc Soup tonight. Bob & I won't be out on Wednesday night; instead, we'll be walking on Thursday evening from home. See you then, or on Saturday.