Thursday 13 December 2012

Walks: Sat-Wed, Dec. 15 to 19

Celebrating 12/12/12 at 12:12:12 with a 12K walk
Don't know how I managed to gain that massive double chin during this Year of Living 2012-Challengingly! But, oh well, the moment was historic, so here the picture is. Focus more on my fit-looking companions for the mini-mob version of the Wow Power Walking 12K at 12 on 12/12/12. And follow that link to Wow's revamped website, especially if you completed the 2012 Challenge. If your name is drawn to win a membership, you can plan your options in advance and leap right in.

Saturday, those few still doing those tantalizing last bits of the Challenge want to do 10K. Actually, want might be the wrong verb. Everyone else, please do come out for your own distance.

Monday and Wednesday, we'll say 6-8K (with the option to go up or down, as required).

Next Saturday is our very last chance (with one exception) to complete our 2012 in 2012 mileage, which must be submitted by 2 pm on Sat., Dec. 22nd. The exception is the 8K Wow Winter Solstice Coffee & Muffin Walk the following day, starting at 8 am at Sovereign House in Oakville. A few of us will be going. Those who need the mileage to complete your 2012K can add this 8K to the total you submit on Saturday, if you sign up in advance and attend. One way or another, we'll finish this, gang!

A message from the Shore Things at the back of the pack: they appreciate it when those in front look back to make sure they're okay – and loop back to those who seem lonely or lost. The need to loop may be less of an issue once the holiday crush gets our numbers up and ensures there's a group at every pace. However, looking out for each other is a nice thing to do, so please keep it in mind.

That being said, our loosely defined club has both pros and cons. There are people who prefer the same route every week, and others who crave variety. We each walk at the pace that feels comfortable for us, and sometimes walking slowly can be as hard to maintain for fast walkers as walking quickly can be for slower ones. Unfortunately, we can't satisfy everyone, all the time. If you have suggestions, please let me know.

I also welcome help with route planning. But whether we post routes or simply describe them at the start of each walk, it's up to each of us to know where we're going – or, if unsure, to ask. In fact, two of us got "lost" last week on a route we've done innumerable times. Let's re-do our Shore Things directory, especially our cell numbers, so we can check in if one of us gets lost or needs to be found. A volunteer?

I'll close with a belated birthday wish to Kathleen K., who I missed last week because she wasn't on my Shore Things calendar yet. And, speaking of calendars, the reprints have arrived – I'll do my best to remember to bring them on Saturday. Hope to see you!

10 comments:

P Dawn said...

I'll be at Tim's on Saturday for 8 - 10.

Trish said...

I will be out Saturday morning. 8 would be my number.

Trish said...

I will be out Saturday morning. 8 would be my number.

Anonymous said...

I sure missed the group. I'll be out on Saturday.

SKJ

Anonymous said...

There are some of us who still have a few Kms to make up... Jan will you be walking tonight?
Leverne

Helen said...

I'll come out and keep you company, Leverne and Jan. It's hard to fall completely off the walking wagon.

Jan said...

I need to go out - I intended to do 10k yesterday but went shopping instead. I'm up for 6-8 tonight

Anonymous said...

I'll be out too.....looking forward to a brisk stroll.

Susan

Helen said...

To celebrate that all our Shore Things have now (finally, gratefully) completed Wow's 2012 in 2012 Challenge, I am taking Wednesday evening off. See you on Saturday... and, some of you, also on Sunday.

Remember to get your final 2012 mileage in by 2 pm on Saturday, Dec. 22nd (you can count Sunday's 8K, if you're attending the Winter Solstice walk).

Jan said...

It's official! Ray and I did a 6k this afternoon and I am at 2016.73!!!! I am celebrating by giving myself the night off. See everyone on Saturday for a SHORT walk!!!