Thursday 29 November 2012

Walks: Sat-Wed, Dec. 1 to 5

Queen Olwyn sparkles at the Santa Claus Parade
Hard to believe we're into December. Where did the Challenging 2012 go? It passed quickly beneath our intrepid feet – and now the last three weeks of the 2012-in-2012 draws to a close. I'm curious. How many of us are still at it?

Interjecting a quick note to say if you want to do the Resolution 5K, rates go up on Saturday.

If you read the Wow newsletter, Lee Scott has invited folks to a 12 @ 12 on 12/12/12 walk – walking 12K (or 12 X any shorter distance) at 12 noon on Wed. Dec. 12th. If you can't make it to High Park and still need kilometerage (like me, most likely), join me in the east end – start point, TBD. I'll plan a new route, for variety.

Speaking of variety, we've had some whining requests about change-ups to our same-old-same-olds. Trish has suggested that we ask for volunteer hosts on the first Saturday of each month, starting in 2013. She will be kicking it off on January 5th with a route in the Eglinton and Bayview area. Details to follow. Please submit your name/neighbourhood for future walks. And, at any time, new routes in our regular nabes are always most welcome. Hint, hint. Hint.

Of course, those who prefer to stay put will probably have company at Tim's. Always sign in to say where you'll be.

This is the time when newbies might be joining and the walking wounded will be returning to us. For this reason, I want to remind all the speed demons about looping. Turning back to join the back of the pack is a way to add interval bursts and a little extra distance. It's good for both hares and turtles.

Now that you've read till the end, I can tell you Saturday, some 2012 challengers are considering 13K, but normal people will probably be doing 6-8-maybe-10K. C'mon out.  I will remember to bring the books and calendar this time (the second batch of calendars will come later). Monday and Wednesday, 6-8K, weather and weariness dependent.

Barb S, you have a very happy birthday, girl!

14 comments:

olwyn said...

Lovely blog; and thanks for posting the 'Queen' photo ~ I didn't get to meet Santa, but I did enjoy walking in his parade!I'll be out Saturday morning for a 'normal people' walk of somewhere between 6 and 8k; maybe 7? See you Sat!

Ruth said...

Wow, Olwyn. You look great. I just don't understand why you don't dress that way for our walks!!

I'll be out on Saturday. I've finished my 2012 (yay - and NEVER AGAIN), but now I have to work off two Thanksgiving Day feasts, in preparation for Christmas. So I'll do 13K.

Ruth

Helen said...

I'm still doing the challenge, so I'll be aiming for 13K to give my December a good start. Just three flippin' weeks left. Threeeeeeeee.

See you at 8 on Saturday.

P Dawn said...

Happy Birthday, Barb S.

I'll be out on Saturday to do 'normal people' with the Queen. I have completed my 2012 and can hardly believe I DID IT...............

Won't be doing 12 x 12 at 12 or whatever Lee is trying to get us to do. Not sure what I'll be doing that day but closer to the time I'll get it figured out.

Great idea of Trish's to go to different places the first Sat, but I won't be able to join you on 5th January.

debbie said...

Olwyn, you look gorgeous! Do you also grant wishes?

Trish, great idea re changing it up once a month!

I'll be out Saturday for 7 km.

See you all then!

Anonymous said...


I loved Olwyn's photo!
It would be great to walk from Bayview and Eglinton,(I live here) but I'll be in Florida, leaving on the 5th.
I'll be out tomorrow for 5km, my first try after the surgery.

Val

Anonymous said...

I'll be out on Saturday and will do 13 km most likely.

Susan

Trish said...

I won't be out in the morning. I did get new shoes and new orthotics soon to arrive. Hoping to do a simple 4k with Eileen on Sunday to help her break in her new brace.
Roads were very slippery on my way home tonight. Tread carefully.

Anonymous said...

Wow lovely photo of queen Olwyn. Thanks. Have a fantastic walk. I'll be out in the evenings.

I haven't completed the challenge but walked over 500 km since last March.

Kathleen

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Barb.

Kath

Helen said...

Although the weather icon shows rain for Monday night, the animated weather map suggests otherwise. I'm hoping the latter is right -- and that I'll see some of you at 7 pm. If no rain, it'll be a pleasant night for 6-8K.

Anonymous said...

I'll be out Monday night at Loblaws, since I got home early tonight.

Susan

Anonymous said...

I will be there too.
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

I'll be out Monday
Leverne