Wednesday 13 June 2012

Walks: Sat-Wed, June 16-20

This kind of "peanut" is good for your health
Other than the Detroit full marathoners, no one is into deep training yet – as far as I know. Tell me or Dawn if your upcoming race isn't noted on our Interests List. Currently, I'm using the full marathon schedule, as some of us have decided to train with the marathoners. Please, let your body be your guide when selecting your distance. There's always someone to keep you company.

Saturday: 13K. We'll be starting at 7:30 am. I'll repeat that: we'll be starting at 7:30 am – from now till the next heat leap. From Tim's. I suggest the Spit, as we haven't done it in a while, and it offers shorter options. For 13K, we need to do both sides. Let's take the longer/outside road first, then return via the more interesting bridge route. Sign in to declare when you will be arriving, and the distance you prefer.

Monday and Wednesday: 8K and 6K. Again, we'll do tempo on the shorter walk to get our heart rate up and build up our endurance and cardio capacity. The few who came out tonight enjoyed it.

But if you need convincing to go for speed, here's a great article in More Magazine on the calorie-burning benefits of faster walking. 4 mph (9.3 mins/km) is the first big benchmark, and every small increment above that reaps disproportionately greater benefits. At 5 mph, walkers burn more calories than runners, due to our form! The article includes technique tips, so I recommend a read.

It's semi-official: the New Zealand crew has changed its destination for next summer. We're now looking at Ireland, the Longford marathon, marathon relay and half marathon at the end of August 2013. Perhaps this will appeal to a larger group. Let us know if you're interested.

Happy Father's Day to the fellas in our group. May you be fêted as you deserve! And happy birthday to Rainer. Have a medal-winning day.

17 comments:

debbie said...

I'll be out Saturday for whatever distance my body & spirit feel like.

Should be gorgeous out on the Spit!

Maureen said...

Won't be out Saturday. In Ottawa for wedding shower. Have a great weekend everyone.

Libby said...

Arlene and I will be out Saturday for 13 on the Spit

Anonymous said...

I won't be out on Saturday as I am at Union training all weekend....yah!
Have a great walk, see you on Monday.

Lynne

Lou-Ann said...

I will see you on the spit for 7:30on Saturday; the plan is to do 13K. Love the picture Helen! Happy showering Maureen, don't forget the soap!

P Dawn said...

I'll be out on saturday morning and will see how far the body and mind will take me. To be decided....

Wonderful picture, Helen. I had forgotten how lovely the peanut walk is.

Ruth said...

See you at 7:30 tomorrow - half asleep, I'm sure.

Ruth

Helen said...

Hoping to be out Monday night.

Helen said...

Jan is running late. If we aren't at Loblaws by 7, we'll be walking from home.

Helen said...

If it remains super-hot on Wednesday night, there's a proposal that we meet at a pool for either pool walking, if possible, or simply lengths. Good for our breathing and cardio! Main Square pool is closed, unfortunately, but Earl Beatty (Glebehome at Woodington) has open swim from 8:30-9:30. Maybe we'll see you there?

Check back later in the day for a weather update.

Anonymous said...

I'm not walking tonight, but I'll check back later for the swim/walk.
Leverne

Helen said...

It's definitely hot, but not particularly humid. Is there anyone who'd prefer to get in our minimum challenge distance, or thereabouts?

Anonymous said...

It's too hot for me and as expected I have a headache. I am interested in walking on Friday instead when the weather is supposed to be cooler..

Lynne

Anonymous said...

Just got in and although it is not overly humid it is still very, very warm. Maureen and I decided to drag out some exercise DVDs and do some cross training in the comfort of our cool tempered abodes.

Safe to say that neither of us will be out on Saturday, either. WIll try for Monday.

Take care everyone.
Sharon

Helen said...

Okay, I'm going to skip the walk as well. Hoping I'll still have the motivation for a swim two hours from now.

Jan said...

I'm running late (as usual!!) so won't make the walk tonight either - maybe a swim at 8:30...

Helen said...

Wimping out!