Thursday 29 December 2011

Walks: New Year's Eve, Mon. Jan. 2 & Wed. Jan. 4

Our Christmas Eve 2011 walk
Saturday, at least 27 Shore Things, family and friends, will be at the Resolution 5K. A reminder for those car-pooling: we meet at my house, leaving at 8:45. The race starts at 9:30. Race-day kit pickup is available, 7:30-9 am at the Queen Elizabeth Building.

The blue jacket got the freeze test on this morning's walk, and gets thumbs up. A reminder that we can have these (or our yellow/green jacket) embroidered with the Shore Things logo for $14 + HST. By now, we have the minimum order confirmed, but there's still time to add your name to the list.

Half a dozen of us have signed up for the Wow Powerwalking 2012 in 2012 Challenge. To help us along, we're going to try going a touch farther – just over 7K, rather than 6K – on our regular walks during the tougher weather of January/February. Here's a route from Loblaws for Monday, and a route from Shoppers for Wednesday. Bookmark and memorize.

Those still off work this week might prefer morning walks when it's light, starting at 9 am. Evening walkers, the time is still 7 pm. I don't know if there's still an afternoon option. Please speak up if you do. Wednesday is a Doc Soup night, so many regulars will be away. As always, sign in to let folks know there'll be company aka moral support.

January 1, registration opens for two spring races that some of us are interested in, the Chocolate Race on April 29 and the WIN Whitby Half on May 27. Do it early for the best rates. You can also register now for the KW Half. I'm continuing to update the race links on our website. Check them out.

Our sincere condolences to Pat S, whose mother passed away on Christmas Day. I'll send a private message with Pat's contact info for those wishing to reach out.

Happy birthday to Alisa, our first January baby (or babe) of 2012. Wishing you a full year of fun.

And happy New Year, everyone! Have a fun, safe celebration. It has been a privilege and a pleasure to walk, talk and commune with you. Looking forward to another fantastic year with the Shore Things.

19 comments:

Olwyn said...

Thanks for the delightful post, Helen; and the very festive photo! (!) See everyone on Saturday for the Res Run; looking forward to it!
Glad to hear the new jacket is nice and warm; our embroidered logo will look great on it. Until Saturday; and for anyone not doing the Res Run; Happy New Year to you and yours!

Jan said...

I also would like my jacket embroidered - I don't think I told you. I am not interested in the hat though as I don't seem to be able to wear hats in the summer.

See everyone on Saturday

Anonymous said...

I offered to host a post race "coffee and croissants" at my house on Saturday... is anyone interested in stopping by?
Leverne

Anonymous said...

Will anyone else be at Tim's on Saturday at 8:00 am? I plan to be there (not at the race) and I'm looking for company.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Great posting Helen! Neat photo, too.

Leverne, I am just now checking out our site. Your offer is very generous but I will not be able to partake. We have plans to run around to do errands.

We'll see the Resolution Walkers a little later.

Sharon

Lou-Ann said...

I can walk on Monday & Wednesday mornings this week (Jan. 2nd & Jan. 4th)is anyone else interested?

Helen said...

Bob & I plan to be on the 9 am morning walks.

Monday, we'll meet you at the Tim Horton's in the plaza at Gerrard and Victoria Park.

Wednesday, rather than Shoppers, we'd like to invite you to start at our house, and stop for coffee after. Parking is still available in the schoolyard this week.

Trish said...

I plan to be out Monday morning for sure and hopefully Wednesday morning too.

Ruth said...

I'll be out Monday morning at 9.

Ruth

Charlotte S said...

Both Monday from Tim's at Vic Park & Gerrard and Wednesday from Helen's sound good to me. 9 for both?

Maureen said...

Monday and Wednesday sound good to me. See you at 9:00 at Tim's.

Anonymous said...

I'll be at Tim's on Monday at 9:00 and then, on Wednesday, it's back to reality so I'll be in Burlington at my office - working hard.

Susan

Lou-Ann said...

Yahoooooooooooo I will be out Monday morning at 9:00 and will be at Helen & Bob's Wednesday (Helen's/Bob's Tims for coffee after. I think I am back in the swing of things. Wonderful seeing everyone on December 31st, and look forward to many Saturday walks in 2012!

Jan said...

6 down, 2006 to go...

Happy New Year everyone!

I'll be out tomorrow morning (Bob & Helen I'll pick you up) and probably Wednesday morning too

Eileen said...

I'll be out Wed evg at Shoppers.

Guess I can't use bad weather as an excuse anymore since in a moment of madness I signed up for Lee's 2012 challenge.

Happy New Year to All!!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Everyone! I've also signed up for Lee's Challenge! I'll be walking home from work on Monday and Wed. nights this week (College and University if anyone is interested in joining me!) I'll see y'all on Sat.! 2012 km's....here I go! :)

Anonymous said...

So I guess no one is going for a walk this evening. How about Wednesday evening?

If not, I'll see you folk on Saturday.

Sharon

Anonymous said...

I want to register for the 2012 in 2012, where is the link for that? Is it in the WOW newsletter, if so, Helen could you forward it to me please and thanks.
Leverne

Stacey said...

16 down - 1996 to go! (Peggy too!) See you Wednesday morning at Helen and Bob's.