Monday 7 March 2011

Walks: Mon. March 7 & Wed. March 9

We got plenty of snow-kers on the Chilly course this year
Everyone I talked to after the Chilly Half Marathon found it to be a tough race this year. If you're like me, you're still feeling it this morning. The road surface was slushy and many of us started the race with wet feet. On the plus side, the big wind didn't happen, as you can see by the snow-capped trees. The course was quite pretty – and those mansions, wow.

And we still had some blazing times. Bob was first in our group with a chip time of 2:34, followed by Ruth (2:38), Arlene and Libby (2:51), Barb (2:53) and Rainer and Margy (2:57). Our first-time half marathoner and Shore Thing by association, Lucy ran it in 2:03. Lee Scott, with whom we'll train in three weeks, finished first overall in the half with a chip time of 2:17. That's 2:17. Well done, everyone.

Let's celebrate by taking it easy this week, with 6-8K both evenings, depending on our inclination.

Please note: Dawn says we're almost full for the Shore Things 10+1 Brunch. If you haven't send in your reservation, do so quickly – send it to me (Helen), as I'm the record-keeper for the next two weeks.

Happy birthday to our birthday girl Mary. Hope you get something like spring for your present.

13 comments:

Jan said...

Amazing times for the early finishers, especially given the conditions - congrats to all. Me, I'm just amazed I finished! And being the wimp that I am I am giving myself the night off and resting my aching bones and muscles. See you Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

Ditto what Jan said. Hope to see you Wednesday.
Sheila

debbie said...

Wow!

As Jan said, congrats to everyone for toughing it through those soggy conditions!

I'll pay penance for skipping that race by showing up tonight.

Cheers,

Debbie

Helen said...

Bob & I are joining the retreat for Monday and staying home to recover from the Chilly...

On Wednesday, we'll be away at Honours Night.

So, I guess we won't see you till Saturday. Enjoy your walks!

debbie said...

Can't make it after all tonight - car trouble.

See you all soon!

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations one and all. Amazing times achieved under not-so-amazing conditions. I thought of you all during the morning hours. I walked down by the Beach and the snow was ankle deep. That was a cross-training work out.

Will see you on Saturday. Got to go exercise with Jillian Michaels!

Eileen said...

WOW!! Fantastic times by the early finishers and amazing stamina for everyone to even complete the race. What a day you had!

I will be out Wed if anyone else is coming.

Anonymous said...

Have to work late so will not be out tonight, see you Saturday.

Sheila

Anonymous said...

I won't be out tonight....got my French homework to do and the weather sucks!

Lynne

Anonymous said...

Congrats to all the racers from Sunday. When I woke up and saw the snow, I was sure glad I could roll over and go back to sleep, so I am proud of you all for such good efforts in such poor conditions.
I won't be out tonight, it's too slippery and Lynne and I actually showed up Monday night and did 6K, so I'm going to put my feet up and relax tonight.
Leverne

Anonymous said...

I'm going to cave too and stay in tonight too! See you on Saturday,

Eileen said...

That posting just above is me!

Anonymous said...

Denise and I erred on the side of caution and stayed home on Wednesday - did celebrate the Chillies with a 7 km walk on Monday however...see you all on Saturday with our birthday girl in tow