Monday 24 January 2011

Walks: Mon. Jan. 24 & Wed. Jan. 26

Shore Things meditate on sub-zero temps at the Robbie Burns 8K
It was a leetle beet chilly at the Robbie Burns 8K, although perhaps not as cold as the first year we did this race. We warmed up by the 5K marker... if you don't count our feet.

At the front of the pack, the Shore Things were hot! Rainer was first male, and third overall in the walking category, with a clock time of 56:13. While he left the podium without a plaque, the organizers say one will be sent to him soon. Arlene also placed first in her age category. Congratulations, both of you. And despite the cold weather – or perhaps because of it – the rest of us had some pretty impressive results. No medals, unfortunately, so we'll have to put our disposable chip on a ribbon for this one.

This week: 8K with intervals on Monday; 10K on Wednesday. You know we're gearing up for Saturday. We'll do the best we can, whatever the weather. Come out and do the distance that feels right to you. You'll be sure to have company, whatever it is.

This message is via Julaine, from Sara Sterling who organizes Angus Glen. She and her daughter are raising money to fund two primary schools for girls in Rwanda, through the Because I Am A Girl program of Plan Canada. Here are the details, in case you'd like to contribute. No obligation. I know that education for girls just one of many worthy causes, but in case this appeals to you:
As many of you know, Madeleine and I (and a dedicated group of volunteers) organized the Markham Women's 5K & Girls' 1K last year to raise more than $20,000 to build a girls school residence in Tanzania, through Plan Canada's Because I am a Girl campaign. After visiting the school and meeting the girls this Fall, we are more determined than ever to continue to support girls indeveloping nations gain access to the education they deserve.

This year, we are fundraising to help build two primary schools in Rwanda, again through the BIAAG campaign. Your support will not only help with physical construction, but will also help to provide all the furnishings, equipment, books and supplies needed to promote active learning. Clean water and sanitation points will be made accessible, Parent-Teacher Associations will be formed and teachers and community members will be trained on child rights and gender sensitivity.
To help support girls, who routinely face inequities that force them to leave primary school before successfully finishing, girls' clubs will be formed. This will give them a place to freely voice their opinions  and share their challenges and successes.
To support me, click on the link below: 
http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?registrationID=1046604&langPref=en-CA
For more information about Plan Canada and the Because I am a Girl campaign, please visit http://plancanada.ca
Thank you for your support!

We'll see you tonight, 7ish. Looks like the weather might even be getting a touch warmer.

10 comments:

Barbara said...

Congratulations to everyone on your results and for showing up yesterday...what a day!!

I will be out on Wednesday to do 10km.

Ruth said...

Congratulations everyone, and I hope you thaw out soon. Great race, Rainer.

Helen said...

I'll be out tonight, brand new Yaktrax in tow.

Plus, I've just registered for the Around the Bay 5K -- all other events in the race are sold out -- to support my crazy ATB 30K husband. The 5K event starts at 9:45 (vs 9:30 for the 30K), so I should be finished my event just as he reaches the finish line. ;^) Anyone want to join me?

Helen said...

If you want to preview it, here's the 8K route I've mapped. The condo route, with 5 loops when you have to kick up the pace a notch (cut and paste the link into your browser if it isn't live here):

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/1725048/

Olwyn said...

Hi All, Working late again tonight, so won't be out; and I'm working Wed night also. Hope to be out Sat morning! Bravo to everyone who did the Frozen Robbie Burns; you deserve a medal, even though they didn't give them out!

P Dawn said...

I won't be out on Monday or Wednesday evenings, but hope to come out on Saturday.

Anonymous said...

I will not be out tonight.
Barb Shand

Alisa said...

Have a parent seminar at the school on Wednesday so will be bowing out but aiming for Saturday...judging by the comments I am in for a long haul...sigh - did download the registration form for the KW walk - getting serious - want a medal around my neck for the next party! Alisa

Anonymous said...

I cannot make it tonight.
See you Saturday.
Sheila

Helen said...

I hope to be there tonight, if I have wheels. But Bob has twinged a muscle and is giving it a rest this evening.