Saturday 15 January 2011

Walks: Mon. Jan. 17 & Wed. Jan. 19

So let's just say, we didn't have much competition for the path.
Seems like we're getting all the snow we missed last winter... plus this year's as well. But, boy, are we a game bunch of boys and girls. Welcome, Kathleen, who picked just the right day to join us.

Next week: 6K (plus fartlik) on Monday; 8K on Wednesday. Depending on the slogging, the snow might be fartliky enough. Don't want to wimp out too much as we're building up to longer walks, with 13K on the Chilly schedule for Saturday – although those doing the Robbie Burns might modify that distance. TBD.

On that note, Trish is organizing car pooling for Robbie participants. If you haven't heard from her yet, please do drop her a line.

The t-shirts were a hit at Tim's. If you didn't get to try yours, I'll bring the samples on Monday and Wednesday nights. However, Norma needs to hear from you to confirm your order by end of day Wednesday.

We've had some interest in the Wow Powerwalking training organized by Arlene. Now that you've nibbled, Arlene can get back to us with more details. Minimum numbers are sometimes required for the multi-week training sessions. If you haven't taken a course with Lee Scott before, note that I used to walk faster than Bob – till he trained with Lee. Now, there's no stopping him and he makes it look so darned easy. So, if you've been sitting on the fence think: more speed, less effort. Wouldn't that be nice?

And now a few winter-walking tips
We're into winter with a vengeance, so here are some words about gear:

Light up the night: Charlotte will be going to Mountain Equipment Co-op on Friday, and will try to purchase as many of these light-up marker bands as she can. They're $12.00 plus HST for a total of $13.56. Let Charlotte know asap, as it's first-come, first-served. Let's be safe out there.


Protect your skin from Old Man Winter: When it gets blowy and cold like on Saturday, protect your exposed skin by rubbing in a dab of Vaseline or BodyGlide. Let's be gorgeous out there!

Keep your feet dry: Trish passes on this tip from her Wow coach Helena: Duct tape over toes of your shoes keeps your feet drier, thus warmer, in weather like today's. It lasts a couple of walks (depending), and is worth a try. FYI, you can now get Duck brand duct tape in leopard-skin pattern. I'm just saying.

One final word: YakTrax!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow training - Arlene - I am interested in the 6 week training program, but I don't think the dates work for me. If it starts after April 4th, it might work for me as long as it isn't on a Monday night. Likely a bit too complicated.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Won't be out Monday night - working late, again. But would love to do hills on Tuesday or Wednesday, if anyone is interested in joining me. Let me know....providing the streets are relatively clear.

Susan

Trish said...

I am walking early on Monday and not sure yet about Wed. Will let you know if I will be out.
Cheers.
Trish

Eileen said...

I won't be out this week, incuding Saturday, but will be back on the streets next week.

Olwyn said...

I won't be out tonight (Monday) after all, as I have to work late again. Will try and make it on Wednesday. Safe walking! Olwyn

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I won't be out tonight either. Bundle up!
Sheila

Anonymous said...

I will not be out tonight.
Barb Shand

Helen said...

Bob & I will be there Monday night. Don't take off without us.

Anonymous said...

Hi Norma/Trish/Charlotte:
Norma: Yes, I would like to order a small shirt - thanks.
Trish: Yes, I would like a ride if possible to the Robbie Burns - thanks.
Charlotte: In case I don't see you on Saturday I will give my cheque to Leverne. If that doesn't work can you give me your address and I will send it?
Many thanks,
Lynne

Barbara said...

I will not be out tonight but will be back on Saturday. The whole flu thing seems to be gone, at long last!
I wouls be very interested in training with Lee, it is always such a great experience. Safe walking on the slippery streeets tonight!

Olwyn said...

I won't be out tonight (Wed) after all, as I have to work late again; I've had it with these opera singers! Stay warm, and watch out for black ice!

Anonymous said...

I won't be out tonight, but safe walking all.
Norma, can I get a small shirt please.
Thanks,
Leverne

Helen said...

Jan and I will be there on Wednesday -- and am presuming my dear hub will be, too. See you 7ish.

Anonymous said...

I won't be out tonight, my car is acting up and it's too late now to TTC it.

Hope to be there Saturday,
Sheila