Wednesday 13 October 2010

Walk: Wed. Oct. 13 @ Shoppers

Five of our six smiling Chicago marathoners
The stories are starting to trickle in about Chicago. Debbie posted our team's finish times in a recent comment. They were impressive, to say the least. But the race was not without challenges. In 2009, according to a website I saw this morning, the temperatures in Chicago were in the 50-65˚F range. In 2010, it seems they were closer to 100˚F. Here's what Libby had to say about the experience:
It was certainly a test of endurance. With a crowd of 40,000 participants and over 100,000+ supporters, the city was filled with crowds similar to my Asian travel experiences!

The spectators were not allowed anywhere near the start or finish so it was hard to have pictures but I have attached a few. We were staying at different hotels as well. Nike had etched all participant names on the wall outside the store on Michigan avenue...I could only photo Lynne and Leverne as the rest were too high up!

The heat was quite a challenge and most runners added 30 minutes to their expected finishes. 4000 did NOT finish the race- a 10% drop out is high!- the ambulances sirens were running constantly so you knew the heat was an issue!

As recreational athletes we were all proud to be alive at the end of it! For Alexis, Lynne, Leverne and I as first time marathoners - I'm not sure I could say this was an exhilarating experience given the heat but we are all relieved to have this over and looking forward to more leisurely fall walks!

For Barbara B., the weather was too much. She became ill and had to drop out at Mile 10. Barbara, I know first hand how hard it is to have to drop out part way through a marathon you've trained so hard for. It looks like marathon fever hasn't quite died down, and there might be some who'd like to train with you if you're ready to make third time the charm in Chicago. Something to think about in the months ahead.

That's it, except to say: Come out for a walk and talk this evening at 7 pm. We'll set a 6-8K distance.

13 comments:

Helen said...

I'll either be at class tonight or picking up my sister from the hospital. In any case, won't be out on Wednesday. See you on the weekend.

Need to find a way to fit in a walk... this class is showing on my waistline.

Stacey said...

Congratulations to all of the Chicago walkers! I can only imagine how difficult it must have been, doing a full marathon in that heat. I won't be out again for a couple of weeks - good thing I'm not going to attempt the 10 mile walk at our 10 + 10! Too many demands on my time these days. I'll continue my good intentions of coming out during the week, but that's all they usually amount to - good intentions.

Eileen said...

Congratulations to all the Chicago marathoners! It's incredible that the weather was so hot. You all did amazaingly well and I look forward to hearing your stories.
I won't be out tonight but I'll be at Tim's on Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Will I be the only one at Shoppers tonight?
Leverne

Anonymous said...

My plan is to be there tonight.

Denise

Anonymous said...

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes. It was a good experience and Chicago is now on my list of favorite places!
I'm taking tonight off.....just because I want to ! :)
See you all at Tim's on Sat.
Alexis

Olwyn said...

Congrats to all of you who went to Chicago! Well done, everyone!
I won't be out tonight (*&%^$#! opera), and not sure about Saturday at Tim's, as I'll be working late the night before. I will be out in November, when things go back to normal! Olwyn

Trish said...

Congrats to all the Chicago walkers.
I won't be out tonight but will be back in walking mode for Saturday.

P Dawn said...

Sorry, I won't be out this evening either.

Congrats to the Chicago group, and sorry to hear of Barbara's illness. I cannot imagine what it would have been like to be walking in that heat for so long.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Denise, I'm bailing on you... it looks like rain... I'll see everyone Saturday
Leverne

Anonymous said...

Guess I'll be staying home too
Denise

debbie said...

Whew! The heat sounds a lot like the Jeans Marine marathon some of us did in Washington back in 2003, when it was 80 degrees.
Kudos to you all for what must have been a very tough slog!
Barbara --kudos to you for sticking it out in that heat as long as you did --as Helen says, there are many more marathons around the corner which we can all work towards. I hope you are feeling better.
I'll be out Saturday, it's supposed to be sunny!

Cheers

Debbie

Eva said...

From Manila, Philippines...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! to all Chicago Marathoners. My is hat off to you ladies for your courage and determination. Cheers.

I will be in spirit in your weekly walks. My walks were mostly very short... but it is a treat to walk on warm, white sandy beaches and watch the sunset and sunrise.

see you soon...
bye for now