Tuesday 17 November 2009

Races for 2010 – Discussion

Here are some of the races being talked up for 2010. Where available, the links in the post are active. Keep adding suggestions in the comments section, and I'll continue to update this list – however, please note that updates will not appear in your mailbox. However, you will be able to find a link to the discussion under Training Support, right beneath the weather icon, in the right column of the blog.

January:
1st: Hair of the Dog 9k in the Beach. I have three words: Prizes, food and Schnapps. Those who did it had fun last year.

24th: Arlene has registered for the 30th Anniversary Robbie Burns 8K -- it's good to have something in January to aim for

March:
7th: Marg and Rainer signed up early for the Chilly Half

28th: Libby and Arlene are interested in Around the Bay (Amend that: Ruth and Arlene... and possibly Bob).

April:
3rd: Harry's Spring 5K/8K is the first of the Canada Running Series races (they offer a discount package for signing up for three races); Sporting Life 10K in May, the Acura 10-Miler and Beach Jazz Tune-up, both in July, are in this series


25th: Norma and David purchased a fantastic package for the Mercedes Benz 10K last year, so I expect they'll be going -- anyone want to join in?

May:
2nd: Olwyn has signed up for the Sporting Life 10K (see link above)

2nd: Helen wonders if this is the year to get that bus for the Cincinnati Flying Pig Half

June:
6th: Olwyn suggests we all return for the Alfie Shrubb 8K -- which we missed last year due to the Toronto Women's Half (which, incidentally, is already sold out for 2010)


September:
26th: Can the Shore Things NOT do the first all-walkers half at the KW Walking Classic (website not updated at this writing)
26th: Olwyn can't do the above, so has signed up for the Scotia Half


October:
Early/date TBD: The full marathon lure is attracting Lynne & Alexis to Chicago

Mid-month/date TBD: Cavan Hills Country Run is a fun 10K event that Margy and Rainer have done for a couple of years and are encouraging us to try. It's part of the Celebration of Trails series of events, mostly small in pretty settings. You might have missed the link on our website, but it's worth a look. 2010 events aren't yet posted as I write this.

25th: The Dublin Marathon is the stated goal for Helen -- but if she ends up having to go solo, she might consider switching to Chicago. (Wimp!)

November:
7th?/TBD: Shore Things 10+10? What say: A great way to end our year?

December:
Early/TBD: Santa Shuffle is usually an extended-family affair for the Manores (including their adopted children, Olwyn, Charlotte and Dawn)

Late/TBD: Resolution 5K... wonder what this year's loot will be?

Keep adding suggestions in the comments, and I'll continue to revise the list above.

14 comments:

Helen said...

Arlene has registered in the Robbie Burns 8K.

Helen said...

Canada Running Series has just announced its 3-race discount; I've updated the dates on the blog. Cut and paste the link below for details.

http://www.canadarunningseries.com/crs/index.htm

Olwyn said...

Hi Helen,
I've signed up for the Sporting Life 10k, and also the Scotiabank Half ~ I won't be able to do the Kichener/Waterloo half, as I have an opening night the night before; and a 2pm matinee on Sept 26; but I will be able to do the half here in Toronto. Also, I've heard that the Women's Half at the end of May is already full, so perhaps we should think about the Alfie Schrubb again this year? Olwyn

Libby said...

Look forward to the race discussion Saturday morning
I have registered for Robbie Burns-probably will be Arlene's guide.
I will NOT be doing the Round the Bay. As of a Wednesday discussion, I believe Ruth and Arlene are planning to do the Round the Bay. I return from 7 days skiing in Whistler the night before and assume my legs will not be up to a 30k.
Other races are under consideration...
Libby

debbie said...

Gary and I are definitely in for the Hair of the Dog on Jan. 1 (barring a major snowstorm!)

It;s a wonderful way to begin the new year....and the peach schnaps midway, the buffet lunch and prizes are pretty good too!

More races to come...still checking things out!

Debbie

Ruth said...

I signed up for Robbie Burns - who can resist an terry cloth kilt!

Ruth

Anonymous said...

Helen
A couple of other races to consider for Jan 24 and beyond;

Jan 24th is the Hypothermic half in Ottawa they have a walker category
Jan 24th is Robbie Burns 8km in Burlington with big walker turnout
Jan 24th is Philly Big Haggis 5km in Whitby small event, walker category & prices, nice people & nice meal afterwards in Whitby yachtclub. Stayed warm till race ready to start. Margie and I did last year as we were too late for the Robbie Burns..... what do most Shore Things want to do ?? I am leaning to either Robbie Burns or Philly Big Haggis.....

Feb 7th is the Hypothermic half in Sarnia, they have a walker category .... I am seriously looking at that

April ? is Beaches Spring Sprint with 5km walker category was fun last year
April 5 is Phillys Fools in Whitby a 5km walker category

Rainer

Anonymous said...

Hi,
So far, I'm hoping to do Robbie Burns, Sporting Life, Beaches Jazz Tune-up, KW Classic, and maybe Alfie Schrubb.

Sheila

Anonymous said...

The races I plan to do are the Robbie Burn, Sporting Life, Alphie Shrubb, Canada Day, (all 10k or less) and the all-walkers race in Kitchener in Sept. I'm still thinking about something in Feb or March.

Eileen

Helen said...

Whether she's joking or not, Cynthis claims to be up for the Flying Pig on May 2nd... which is a race I have on my radar.

debbie said...

Hi all,

Gary and I are planning to do the Tofino Edge to Edge half marathon on June 13th (the one I was not able to do last year).

This would be Gary's first half, so he's excited (or so he says!) about that!

I also like the idea of the Kitchener-Waterloo walkers' only half in September....new, different, close to home...we'll see!

Cheers

Debbie

debbie said...

Okay, maybe I'm getting carried away, but a couple of weeks ago I registered for the Sunshine Coast April Fool's half marathon (from the B.C. town of Gibsons to Sechelt, north of Vancouver, via ferry) on April 11.
And then today, I was net- surfing and looking at photos from the More New York City half (women only), which I had wanted to do years ago, but never did. The photos from last year show them all in shorts and halters...weather was gorgeous and hot. So...I've just registered for that one too. April 25th.
Two halves two weeks apart. Ruth's (close to) a-half-marathon-a-week record this year must have inspired me!
Did I say "maybe" I'm getting carried away?

Debbie

Eva said...

I've registered for the KW Minds In Motion Walking Half in September.

My plan is to do another half in spring/summer - depends if I can catch up on training.

Long term goals - Camino in fall 2011
Rome full marathon in March 2011 or any full marathon in Europe

Al said...

Walking Pals:

My name is Al Storie, I came upon your site after checking my Alfie Shrubb web site and see you have been checking it too. I am the race director for Alfie Shrubb. Thanks so much for considering Alfie again this year. I know we had less walker last year because of the Women's Half..We are very excited to build the walking division up again. We have a walking trophy now..So much to say about Alfie Shrubb..

I hope to see you all at Alfie june 6th, if you have any questions let me know, my email address is astorie@runningroom.com or a quick call at 905-716-9559

Thanks for your support. We will do everything we can to make Alfie a GREAT walking event..

"SMILEAGE WITH MILEAGE"

Walking Pal Al