Tuesday 4 August 2009

Walks: August 5th & 8th

Hope you all had a safe and sunny Simcoe Day, wherever you were. Did you know that one thing we should be thankful for about John Graves Simcoe is that he helped abolish slavery in Upper Canada, long before it was abolished elsewhere in the British Empire. Click on his name above to get to the Wikipedia article.

Folks, this is another omnibus reminder about our two walks this week.

On Wednesday, we walk 8K from Shoppers. That would be our circuit to Pape.

On Saturday, it's 13K. That would be a walk to the lighthouse, if anyone is up for it. Yesterday, we followed the new trail along the Spit for our 6K from Tim's -- it was quite breezy, close to the lake and sweetly perfumed with honeyclover. We nabbed a passing birder to snap our group shot.

A reminder about the upcoming Midsummer Night's 15K. There are fewer than 150 spaces left in the 15K event, according to the website, so please book now if you're considering it. Bob & I plan to be back for it.

I'm also putting out feelers for the Dublin Marathon in 2010. I'd set 2010 as my target year to do a full marathon in honour of my mum, and I've always wanted to see Dublin. It's Breda's home town, so she has begun to find out accommodation info for us. The marathon is walker friendly, with an 8-hour finishing time. I regret there is no half marathon option on the day (theirs happens the month before), however I hope that some of you might consider joining me.

10 comments:

P Dawn said...

I hope to be at Shoppers on Wednesday and at Tim's on Saturday.
I guess that it's safe for me to say that if there was a half marathon in Dublin 2010, I'd sign up. But as there isn't.......

Lou-Ann said...

I unfortunately won't be out this week, meeting on Wednesday and in Petawawa at a family wedding on the weekend. Enjoy your walks! Dawn you are too funny!!!!!

Trish said...

I hope to be out both Wed. and Sat. Might not make the 13k so if anyone wants to go shorter let me know.

Anonymous said...

I'll be away on Saturday so won't be able to join you.

If anyone is interested in walking Sunday morning, let me know.

Enjoy ....

Susan

Helen said...

With thundhershowers predicted Saturday, it's very likely we won't be walking on the Spit, and possibly not along the lake.

It's also going to be hot. Would anyone be interested in starting at 7 am rather than 7:30?

Trish said...

I'll go earlier if there are enough takers.

Jan said...

I can't go out Sat morning - picking up Lydia in Stratford - Susan I would be interested in Sunday morning if you're still up for it.

Anonymous said...

would be interested at starting at 7 am on sat Helen... but where to ?
marg and rainer

Anonymous said...

I'm back from sunny and warm California, but I fell while walking a trail on my last day there and sprained my ankle yet again. So, I'm out of commission the next month.
Barb

Helen said...

See you at 7 am. We'll play the route by ear.