Wednesday 17 June 2009

Walk: Wed. June 17 -- Change of venue

For tonight, Bob has proposed that we end our walk with ice cream. Mmmmmm, says anyone he has proposed that to.

So -- as long as it isn't thundering and lightninging -- this Wednesday only, we'll meet at East Lynn Park on Danforth, one block west of Woodbine at 7 pm for 6K and finish with a dip at Carter's, the new Kawartha Dairies ice cream shop. (If it rains, we'll defer till next week.)

Speaking of burning off calories, today's picture is of Julaine, who completed the 100K Ride to Conquer Cancer last weekend. Well done, Julaine! Here is her story:

Attached is a photo of me with my cousin and my riding partner, Beth Gherson (Jean's Marine walker & runner) at the 62 km mark with only 40 more to go on Day 2 of the ride. Little did we know then that a hellacious hill was waiting for us 10 kms down the road and on the day that was supposedly "flat" after the first day of hills! We made it though & still felt strong to the end.

The weather was great, food good & plentiful, the volunteer crew was so supportive, gorgeous scenery & we made the best decision to stay in a hotel instead of at the camp in a tent! The last turn of the course presents a breathtaking view of Niagara Falls - a very welcome sight and the mist was quite refreshing to say the least!


The best part of the story though is that there were 3,500 riders this year who raised $14.5 million for cancer research. It was too late for my Dad and the loved ones that so many of us have lost but there is hope for our children. It was so inspiring to see the riders who had survivor flags attached to their bikes & to be cheered by so many along the road that had I conquered t-shirts on & signs that read things like thank you for helping to save my Daddy.


Thanks to the Shore Things for their good wishes and I plan to be back in the Fall if not sooner!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Helen! That day was actually the second day & it was 102 kms. The day before we did 105 kms that's why the hill was especially daunting b/c we had climbed the mountain into Hamilton the day before!

Best,

Julalne

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Julaine. That is an amazing accomplishment!
Norma

Olwyn said...

Bravo, Julaine; well done! Such a great cause; and congrats to all for raising such an amazing amount of money.
Helen ~ terrific idea for tonight; I must admit, I have already tested the new ice creamery, and it is indeed a real treat! See everyone tonight, barring thunder and lightening! Olwyn

Trish said...

Julaine - you go girl. What an awesome ride. However you have to come out and walk with us before the fall! I will be out tonight weather permitting.

P Dawn said...

well done, Julaine. Amazing achievement.
I will not be out this evening, but am hoping that we'll have a repeat visit to Carters sometime later.
Won't see people for a couple of weeks, but am expecting that I'll be out to walk on Saturday 4th July.

Helen said...

Presently, am torn between need to stay dry and need for ice cream.

The lightning predictions have abated. However, it looks like the rain might continue all evening and night. (Good for the garden.)

As we're not quite officially in training, if it's still wet, I might stroll over to the park with an umbrella and stroll back with an ice cream. If it's dry, I'll see you there ready for a walk.

Trish said...

Just logging in to say the call on my warm bathtub beats the rain. See you Sat.

Helen said...

Yes, I think my need to be dry does trump my need for ice cream. At least, at the moment (In theory, I do have till closing time at 10 pm).

See you all on Saturday.

Olwyn said...

Hi All,
Just got in and it's teaming out...so I think I'll bail, and join Trish in the bathtub (figuratively speaking!) Will work in a 6k tomorrow sometime, and see you all soon; Olwyn (Helen - have a scoop for me!)