Sunday 9 November 2008

Winter Shore Things Activities

This is the first post in our planning discussions. Please use this post only to discuss winter activities for our group. Add your thoughts as comments. Other seasons will follow.

Racing: I'm up first with a few suggestions. Looks like it might not be too late to register for the Resolution 5K, so check that one out asap. Also, in January, there's the Robbie Burns 8K. We already have Shore Things signed for both these races. Links are on our blog site.

Skating: When it's cold enough for natural ice, I'd love to get a group together for a skating evening at Cedarena just outside Markham. It's a wonderful old rink sheltered in a cedar valley -- like stepping back into the nostalgic past. Here are the instructions:

Public skating: Tues. (adults only), Thurs., Fri. and Sat. 7:30p.m. to 10p.m. and Sun. 1p.m. to 4p.m. Admission $5 for 16 and older, $2 for 15 and younger. No skate rentals. Take 401 to Markham Rd., north to Steeles Ave., east to Reesor Rd., and north 1 km to 7373 Reesor Rd., parking lot on east side. Call beforehand for ice conditions: 905-294-0038.

Skiing: Sheila passes along the following about an open house at MEC for the Five Winds back-country ski club she belongs to. Click on the image for a larger view and details. The live link will also take you to their website.

While I'm interested in x-country skiing, I'm not experienced enough to go for six hours yet. So I found some info on the Scarborough Cross-Country Ski Club, which gives lessons. That sounds good to me. It means I might not have to take my skis off when going up or down hills!

Please voice up with your own suggestions. This is the time and place.

3 comments:

Helen said...

To be the first to comment on my own post: I noticed that the Toronto Bruce Trail Club has a number of beginner hikes open to the public through the late fall and winter. These are about 3 hours at about a 3kph pace. Good for me and my camera.

I've added a TBTC link under x-training on the blog.

Anonymous said...

I have just received an email from Canada Running Series which offers discount packages if you sign up for 2 or more races at the same time. Full information can be viewed at www.canadarunningseries.com.

Helen said...

The Ganaraska conservation area has snowshoe rentals. I just exchanged e-mail with them – they have 38 pairs of snowshoes, and charge $2/day. Unfortunately, they don’t offer lessons. They say we should prearrange the rentals, in order to make sure that someone is there to distribute them.

I know that the “seniors” community where my office mate lives was able to get lessons in addition to rentals. So perhaps if we talk to them again and guarantee a certain number of people, they will give us a lesson (they give lessons to school kids during the week). But as it stands, they just have the rentals. They’re aluminum, which is good, because they’re light weight.

Ruth