Tuesday 4 November 2008

Walk: Wed. Nov. 5 @ Shoppers


Please excuse the lateness of this message -- it's crazy few weeks for me, workwise. There's a mouthful.

Sad news for JeansMariners: it's official, Bob and Jean are calling it quits. What's to happen next is still in question. I've heard talk of an alum reunuion, but nothing definite.

Whatever anyone else thinks, I know I wouldn't be here writing this blog for you if not for Jeans Marines. I'll keep you posted if there's anything to post. Meantime, feel free to send them your private messages.

This Wednesday, let's do 8K, as the weather is supposed to be unseasonably nice. If winter makes a comeback tomorrow, we'll reconsider.

Belated birthday wishes to David, and Happy Birthday to Karin. Also, congratulations to the Bruce Trail hikers, who if memory serves have walked 130K over two weekends. You rock, gals!

A reminder that our year-end party is this coming Saturday. If you haven't RSVPd, please fire off a reply to this email.

Enjoy the day today. It's one of the last gifts of summer.

Oh, one last thing -- so important, I almost forgot. Michelle has looked into a possible volunteering gig for us for next September's Weekend to End Breast Cancer. A number of us expressed interest. Below are the details. Please email me (not blog me) if you can help.

60km that can change the world: Sept. 11-13, 2009
Toronto Weekend to End Breast Cancer


I have spoken to Kristi Balmer at endcancer.ca’s about this event. After asking questions about our group, she offered two opportunities for us to volunteer as a group over a specific period of time. It’s our choice. Location likely Downsview Park or Exhibition Grounds. Can change, though. The two opportunities are:

Friday registration of walkers, 2 to 8 PM. She needs a total of 70 people for this, so if we could commit to providing 20-30, she would be very, very happy.

Saturday afternoon tent assignments, 2 to 8 PM. Needs a total of 30 people. Would love it if we just take full responsibility as a group. Maybe in concert with the Stellar Runners?

Kristi also mentioned they need individual volunteers for working the phones at their office (Yonge & Adelaide) throughout the year, and for leading walker orientations and weekend training walks through the spring and summer.

2 comments:

Helen said...

You can tell I'm stressed: three typos in the first few lines. I'll be there on Wednesday. Looking forward to stretching my legs.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Helen, for letting me know about Bob & Jean's retirement from Jean's Marines....what a great couple and a fabulous organization. I miss them both. They gave us all so much. I have sent them a personal message.

Helen - hope the stress is soon behind you.

Susan