Sunday 19 October 2008

Walk: Mon. Oct. 20 @ Loblaws

It was our last big race of 2008, and the weather was a fall celebration! How lucky we were, compared with previous years. The route was splendid, too. We won't talk about how a net-downhill race can possibly have inclinations toward, shall we say, upward mobility, but I have two words for you: Hogg's Hollow. Trust me, the hollow part was the least of our worries.

Despite the hills, our times overall were fabulous. Everyone came in under 3 hours, and two of our Shore Things were outstanding. Ruth finished in 2:44! In fact, she was so fast, she was long gone by the time we snapped this victory shot at the finish line.

Special cheers go to Bob, who at last met his goal of a sub-2:30 finish with a chip time of 2:27. A great way for him to end a great year!

More of our pictures are on Flickr, but you'll have to sign in to see them all, including some cute ones of our most camera-shy member.

A couple of 60K hikes for some of our more intrepid members notwithstanding, now we get into the (not so) serious business of maintenance. That means shorter distances, and that means bring out your friends. We'd love to see all those pals who have been holding back.

Monday's walk will be 6-8K -- I'll let the quorum decide -- starting at 7 pm. Bob & I won't be there, however, as we're choosing tiles for the condo. Shout out as you pass by.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the Toronto group and special congrats to Bob!!! Sorry I won't see you on Monday but will hopefully see you next week. I will be out Monday (Oct. 22) but not on Saturday as going to visit our daughter in Michigan.

Anonymous said...

Well done all you fall racers; and bravo on the wonderful times! Looking forward to being out again with you all soon; only two more weeks of opera to go....it's a bit of a mini-marathon in itself!
Have a great couple of weeks, and see you all soon; and congratulations again to all of todays finishers!
Olwyn

sharon said...

Absolutely fantastic! I am so proud to be a member of the Shorethings. Congratulations to all the participants. I sure hope that Ruth doesn't move that fast next weekend on the Bruce Trail.

I won't be out on Monday as I have a book to finish reading before Tuesday.

Once again, congratulations.

Anonymous said...

congrats to all the racers, and great times... see you on Monday
Leverne

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to all the race participants and hikers. Fabulous times!!! Well done.

Maria

debbie said...

Wow! We are not getting older, we are all getting stronger and faster!
Congratulations to Bob and Ruth and everyone --I know you all gave it your all.
In every race we prove what we're made of, and we are made of the right stuff!
Looking forward to seeing everyone again next Saturday.
Debbie

Jan said...

I won't be out tonight - a little sore from yesterday! What a perfect day though - weather was amazing, and the fall colours were great. Just before the end of the race Jean appeared on the course - Helen and I both gave her a big hug and told her what an inspiration she has been for us - it was great to see her.
I may not be out Wednesday night either - client meeting - trying to get everything caught up before I go away next week - next week!!! AAGGGHHH

Ruth said...

I'll be out on Monday -

Ruth

Eva said...

Congratulations to the fabulous and fast Toronto finishers... you are so wonderful and great inspirations to all of us!!!


I will not be out Monday but I will try Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

wonderful group, wonderful times. Congrats to you all.
I won't be out tonight, but hope to be there on Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

Bob, Ruth, Helen, Jan, Barb...CONGRATULATIONS! AMAZING RESULTS. Watch out next year, Dawn & her trusty pace bunny will be hot on your heals! Well hopefully...:-)
Won't be out tonight. Perhaps Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

I may not be out Monday (I know I said I would) but waiting for an important phone call. If received prior to 7:00 I will be walking, otherwise you are walking without me. Enjoy!

Helen said...

In your congratulations for the Toronto Half, don't omit Susan, who had a stellar 2:52 chip time finish.

Have a great walk tonight -- sorry I'll miss it. Looks like the raindrops might hold off.