Tuesday 3 June 2008

Walk: Wed. June 4 @ Shoppers

You've probably been thinking: Now what the heck am I going to do with all these medals!?!

Barb S. is altruistic with hers; each race, she thinks of someone who would like to have the medal, and she gives it away. I'm not so nice. After accumulating them on a hook for a year or two, here's what I did with mine.

It's hard to find shadow boxes anymore. They were all the rage for a while, then slipped out of style. These are $9.99 Ribba frames from IKEA, and come in black, white and occasionally in natural wood.

Snap them up while you can. Like your favourite running shoe, they might not be around next time you want them.

I used the matte that comes with the frame, and cut the medals' ribbons up to create the background, using tape and straight pins to hold everything together. You could probably improve on my design using spray adhesive and thin foam or quilt batting to improve pin traction.

Together, they make a handsome display. You deserve to crow a little about your accomplishments.

And, speaking of which, 6K is the scheduled distance for Wednesday night. Hope to see you at Shoppers!

5 comments:

Jan said...

re shadow boxes - when I opened Helen's email a website popped - http://www.frames-direct.com/ - an American firm that sells frames including shadow boxes, if anyone has trouble finding them

P Dawn said...

I plan to be at Shoppers on Wednesday.
I'm still keeping my medals hanging on a hat stand. If I really work at it and get LOTS more medals I might have to do something else with them...........

Trish said...

I hate to say this but my medals are in my underwear drawer!
I won't be out Wed. - being taken out for dinner and need to be ready for 8:00. If anyone interested in Thursday night let me know.

Eva said...

Sorry, I will not be walking tonight. Still under the influence of jet lag.

Happy trails.

eva

Helen said...

I'll be there tonight. See you soon.