Friday 10 December 2021

Walks Saturday December 11 to Friday December 17

Weekly Walks

The weather forecast for Saturday is firmly on the wet side, so we are presented with four choices:

  • Walk anyway with appropriate clothing. Roads and walkways may be clear as Friday is mild enough to melt.
  • Defer to Sunday as it looks more promising
  • Stay home
  • Consider the Path, Toronto's underground network of underground passageways in the heart of the city.
Some of us have used this last option over the last few years and it is a great solution when road and weather conditions are sub par. Typically, walkers park under City Hall and access the Path through the Sheraton. There is enough pathway to provide easily 8 km. of distance. A McDonalds in the food court in Brookfield Place is usually open for an end-of-walk coffee (bathroom there as well), followed by a short walk back to City Hall.



Winter Walking Wear

A further update on improved traction footwear: I have signed up for the newsletter from Icebug's, the Swedish traction footwear maker, specifically for availability of the BUGrip studded shoes. How they work and limitations are on their site here

For those interested, you can sign up for an email notification when new stock arrives. I called them to find out when they expect shipments, and was informed they are ongoing through the winter. I am considering getting these for myself and Helen, so we can report back when we've had a chance to try out. The price ranges from $200-300, so a bigger investment, but likely to last longer than standard shoes as they can be targeted for walks when conditions warrant. 


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be completing the TTC challenge on Sunday, so will watch the blog to see if anyone is walking on Saturday, and if so, where. Either Loblaws or the PATH works for me.

(Staying home and sleeping in also works for me!!)

Ruth

Libby said...

I am also doing the TTC challenge on Sunday so will give tomorrow a miss.

Leverne said...

I’d walk Sunday morning if it’s raining Saturday morning

Jan said...

I am definitely not walking tomorrow morning. This cold has knocked me out and no one will want to be around me anyway! I'll see how I feel next week.(Had a covid test just in case and it was negative)

Robert said...

Ok. Pass the on Saturday. Sunday Instead. PATH for another rainy day.

Kim said...

I’ll pass for this morning.

Barbara Brown said...

Hope to see you tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Wishing all a very happy holiday season..
All being well,we are hoping to take off to Florida early on next week.
We will be checking out beach races down there!
See everyone in April.
Margy and Rainer

Robert said...

Anyone in for Sunday morning?

Barbara Brown said...

Yes, and I believe leverne is too.

Stacey said...

Have a fabulous time Margy and Rainer!

Anonymous said...

Have a safe trip and enjoy your holidays.

Have a Merry Christmas in sunny Florida!

Valerie