Thursday 7 February 2013

Walks: Sat-Wed, Feb. 9 to 13

The Cherry Street Lifeguard Boathouse – in the snow
The snow is beginning as I write this – who knows if we'll get the big dump we've been promised. Be that as it may, Leverne has planned a 7K alternative walk for Saturday, starting from the Tim Horton's on O'Connor near Amsterdam at 8 am. The link gets you to the "get directions" page (hint: it is not the Tim's at Victoria Park). Leverne will have maps and written instructions at the start.

There will also be a regular 8 am walk from our home Tim's, of course – please sign in to say where you'll be. Wherever we start from, the sun looks like it will be shining, so come out, come out!

Monday and Wednesday, it's maintenance walks, 6K or thereabouts. Let us know if you're coming, or especially if you'll be away, by signing in on the comments.

A reminder to our shutterbugs that Sunday is our photo workshop at Barbara's. Remember to charge your camera(s) and dig out your camera manual. Bring a notepad and pen, too!

Congratulations to Rainer for his first-place finish at the Sarnia Hypothermic Half. Blazing time, too: 2:37. His assessment, "A long drive, but it was worth it."

Happy birthday to Lou-Ann and belated birthday greetings to Barbara (looking at the calendar, my eyes somehow had Barbara's birthday falling today, not yesterday, silly me)! Wishing you both a wonderful, fun-packed year.

For those looking ahead to the Canadian Army Half in September, I've just learned that registration opens Feb. 21. Get in early to enjoy the lowest rates.

26 comments:

Olwyn said...

Great shot of the lighthouse by the beach, Helen! I'm still in opera mode, so won't be out until March; as I'm working most evenings and late on Fridays. Congrats to Rainer; what a time! And Happy Birthday to Lou-Anne and Barbara too!

Jan said...

Wow - great time Rainer - I suppose you were just trying to stay warm!

Happy Birthday Lou-Anne and Barbara.

Unfortunately I will have to miss Saturday's walk - working (don't all accountants spend their Saturdays helping clients move??)

P Dawn said...

Lou=Ann and I will be at the Tim's at O'Connor tomorrow morning. Looking forward to learning a new route.

Happy birthday to the two young women......

Anonymous said...

I will be out tomorrow at the O'Connor location. See you then,
Sheila

Anonymous said...

That's the kind of photo I want to take Helen!
I hope to be out tomorrow at the new location.... however it really depends on the state of the roads.

Lynne

Ruth said...

Congratulations, Rainer!!!

And happy birthday to Barbara and Lou-Ann.

Hope you have fun "cross-training", Jan. I hope to see everyone else at the "new" Tim's on O'Connor.

Ruth

Helen said...

Anyone passing our way who can give Bob & I a lift to O'Connor? If not, I'll book a car.

libby said...

Arlene and i "plan" to be at tim's O'Connor tomorrow...that is if i can get my car out!
Congrats to Rainer on a fabulous race and Happy birthday Lou-Ann and Barb.

Eileen said...

I plan to be out tomorrow. Helen and Bob - I can pick you up but I have to leave right after the walk. I bet you'll get a ride back from someone in the gang :)

Lou-Ann said...

As Dawn mentioned I will be out at the Tim's on O'Connor, thanks for organizing Leverne! Best wishes to Barbara and way to go Rainer! Thank you everyone for your best wishes. Yeah to Paul for shoveling us out today! Mid Summer's Night race just posted, i located 2 photos of the Shorethings in 2011 on the slide show (I guess they are a little behind in photo updates, or maybe we just looked so darn good!).

Anonymous said...

I won't be out in the morning. Though I think it will be a pretty walk and I love changing routes and locations, these snowdrifts are a killer for my knees. Have a great walk.
Trish

Anonymous said...

Not sure if I'll be able to get out tomorrow - depends what the snowplows do to the end of my driveway. Hope to see you....

Happy Birthday Lou-Ann & Barbara.

Susan

Anonymous said...

I have decided to stay in tomorrow. I don't think that our little car could handle the road conditions.

Happy B'day to Barbara and Lou-Ann. Way to go, Rainer. Not too shabby for an old man (Hee, hee)!

Stay safe everyone and enjoy.

SKJ

Anonymous said...

Our street still hasn't been plowed and the snow is very deep. Not sure there's any point to going out today and trying to slog through the snow.
Leverne

P Dawn said...

Lou-Ann and I are giving it a miss today too.......

Helen said...

If the girl with the route is staying home, then we should consider the O'Connor walk cancelled.

Helen said...

Belay that order, Ensign. We are giving it a looksee. See you at the O'Conner Tim's.

Jan said...

Not looking like a great night for walking again tonight!

Anonymous said...

It's slippery out and if the temp drops it might get even slipperier. I'm passing tonight
Leverne

Helen said...

Oh, how annoying. Rain and dropping temps forecast for this evening. I think I'll skip Monday's walk.

When it comes to slippery surfaces, once broken, twice shy.

See you Wednesday, I hope.

Anonymous said...

If anyone is going tonight, please sign in. I'll go if I have company.

Susan

Anonymous said...

I doubt that anyone else is going to Loblaws, but just in case, I'm going to walk from home, before it gets any colder.
Susan

Jan said...

Anyone going out tonight? Looks beautiful out right now - still a little ice underfoot but if we can walk on the roads we should be ok. I need to get out before I forget how to walk!

Helen said...

I'm with you, Jan, I feel like a total slug. Let's go for a walk!

Helen said...

My walking partners might be late getting home from work. Stay tuned.

Helen said...

Still waiting. We might not make it in time for 7 pm.