Monday 13 June 2011

Walks: Mon. June 13 & Wed. June 15

A cool June walk along the lakeshore
June can't make up its mind whether it's spring or summer. We benefit from that indecision tonight with cooler weather for our Monday workout. It's 8K with 3 long intervals, where we'll pick up the pace.

More and more studies talk about the benefits of moderate to intense exercise – not only for our bodies, but for our minds. A recent article talked about how kicking it up a notch can protect us from "silent strokes" as we age. Not that we're aging…

Wednesday, it's ordinary mortal pace for 10K. If there's a volunteer to map it out, we'll have a new route. Otherwise, we'll do one of our existing routes, but perhaps backwards for variety. The new schedule is now posted on the blog, so have a look at it to get an idea about what's coming up.

Save the date: Sunday, August 21st (after the Midsummer Night's 15K), Lou-Ann and Paul invite us to their place for pool party and BBQ. Full details will follow, but for now mark your calendars.

Familiar faces: If you check out the video for the KW Walking Classic, you'll see some Shore Things around the end of the first minute. Go, us! Thanks to sharp-eyed Alexis for the tip-off.

I know I'm forgetting something. Hope you'll forgive my mental lapse. Obviously, I need to do more hills.

9 comments:

P Dawn said...

I won't be joining you this evening, but hope to be at Shopper's on Wednesday evening.

Thanks for the link to the KW race, Helen. I didn't know it even existed - and I saw a few of our favourite Shore Things people......

eileen said...

I'll be out tonight but may have to back off from the intervals. Speed is not my friend yet. I'll support your efforts howver, and yell "Go! Go! Go!!" in the famous "Lee" style :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I plan to be out, but like Eileen will just do what I can...recovering from a major bout of muscle spasms in my calves.

See you at 7,
Sheila

Trish said...

I won't e out tonight. Am looking for bodies who would like to walk Thurs instead of Wed this week. Let me know.

debbie said...

I'll be out tonight!

Debbie

Anonymous said...

not gonna make it out tonight......I hope the rain stays away and hope to see y'all on Wed.
alexis

Helen said...

Remember, each of us is only racing against his- or herself. Even if you just pick up your own pace slightly, an interval can be beneficial -- partly because you're fooling your body into thinking it's doing something new different.

See you tonight at 7.

eileen said...

I'll be out Wed night. Trish...are able to walk that night too?

Helen said...

See you soon. Dawn and Bob have mapped out 10K routes in the park. We can have shorter turnarounds for those who need them.