Sunday 29 March 2009

Walk: Mon. March 30 @ Loblaws

I think this photo says it all. It was wet. Oh, it was wet. It was windy. But we came out of it smiling. Congrats to first-place finishers in the 10-miler and 10K resprectively, Robert and Margy.

What an amazing turnout. What incredible volunteers! Thanks to Leverne for lassoing them. Robert created the bibs. Lynne got us up and running. Eileen kept things moving like clockwork, with help from time-keepers Ray and James. Betsy, Mimi, Aine, Alma and Stefan were "winderful" at the cookie station (and two other girls whose names I don't have). Bob and Aiden were "help" on wheels. Doug, Gerry and Jeremy made sure we took the right turns. Ruth arranged some pretty neat medals -- and Emma and Emily dished them out, while Peggy logged us in. Sam, Adrian and Bryan captured it all on film. And Dawn organized a delicious brunch. What a team. Thanks to everyone -- and apologies to anyone whose name I've omitted.

Monday, we pick up the schedule for the Toronto Women's Half Marathon. The distance is 8K, and the weather is supposed to be dry. Dry is good. Hope to see you at 7 pm.

11 comments:

Helen said...

Yikes, I missed the fabulous prize team of Trish, Cheryl and Lou-Ann, plus all the people who contributed to the loot.

Jan said...

What a beautiful day - now!

Thanks to everyone who put so much work into this - what a great organizing team. Except for the weather the route was great, the brunch was wonderful - nice to have a private party - the bibs, the medals, the prizes - all very professional. Thanks to everyone

Olwyn said...

Ditto with Jan; an amazing day, tons of fun; and a wonderful team who put everything together seemlessly! My shoes are still drying out, but my medal hangs proudly on the front door handle; thanks again; a wonderful race; and congrats to everyone who walked today and who volunteered!
I won't be out Monday or Wed this week, as I'm working, but hope to see everyone on Saturday morning.
Olwyn

Lou-Ann said...

Jan and Olwyn said it all what a great event! We had the right day just the wrong time! My plan is to walk Monday. Thanks again everyone!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time yesterday.

I may walk tonight, if I can get there on time. Late meeting at work for me.

Susan

debbie said...

Helen, also missing is a huge THANK YOU TO YOU for masterminding and coordinating our first Shore Things race.

It was great...true, some of us kept muttering "adversity builds character" as we squished along... my clothes were 10 pounds heavier after the race, and my running shoes are still soggy 24 hours later...but it was empowering, and the brunch was yummy and fun, and you are the team leader who got it rolling and kept it rolling.

You're the best!

See you all Saturday,

Debbie

Helen said...

Hope to be out tonight in my second-best shoes -- because, like Debbie, my new shoes are still soaking wet.

However, in deference to our race yesterday, might be going a bit shorter (6K?) or slower. See you at 7.

Trish said...

What a fabulous event - even taking into consideration the weather. A big thanks to everyone who helped get our first race off to a magnificent start. Please thank any volunteers in your household for all their support. Sorry the bibs didn't survive the elements. They looked terrific. I won't be out tonight as I don't have a second best pair of shoes. See you all on Wed.

Jan said...

I'm going to give it a miss tonight - I am a little sore somehow and a little swamped with work.

See you Wednesday

Anonymous said...

Look at that sunshine now! I'm still giggling about yesterday's experience.....and my shoes are still wet also. Thanks so much to the organizing team! The other 2 girls at the snack spot were my daughters Ali and Sam.....their first experience at a walking race and......they think we're all crazy! I can't make the walk tonight but will see you all on Wed. alexis

P Dawn said...

What a day! What an amazing group. Still waiting for my shoes to dry out, though I myself am now dry.
Thanks to everyone, and particularly to Helen for her bright (???) idea, and all the hard work done by her and everyone else.
I may be out on Wednesday if my shoes are dry!