Saturday 28 February 2009

Walk: Mon. March 2 @ Loblaws

I won't say, "Greetings from Snot Central" -- because that would be way too gross. Instead, I'll say: Wow, what a great turnout. Bob says there were 23 Shore Things braving the minus-25 windchill this morning for the last walk of February 2009. You guys are troopers!

We're now down to one schedule, the Shore Things 10, which is exactly four weeks away, tomorrow. You'll receive a separate email with race details this weekend, with further updates in the weeks ahead.

As for training, the consistent feedback from last weekend's Wow workshop with Lee Scott was: we need to do regular interval training. It's the only way to get faster, says Lee. According to everything I've been reading, it's also the only way to get fitter. If the first goal doesn't convince you, the second one should.

Therefore, for Monday's 6K -- the week's shortest distance -- we will build intervals into our routine. This means pushing yourself harder than usual for timed intervals during our walk. You can do it! And when you do, you'll be doing good for your health and your pace. See you at 7 pm.

A post script from Michelle, who is suffering out the late winter in the South of France. She has supplied today's picture, with an explanation below:

Bonjour from La Côte d'Azur:

The annual Cannes Semi-Marathon was held a few days after we arrived three weeks ago. Only 3,000 runners (curiously, no walkers) and a waterfront course scenic and flat enough to rival Toronto’s. Could it be a Shore Things’ destination for 2010?


It was tough deciding what photo to share with you until I came across this poster. Grandmothers’ Day (La Fête des Grands-mères) is big here, and has been the theme of retail displays and TV ads for weeks. The largest community theatre is mounting a free family “spectacle” – aka concert – this Sunday afternoon, featuring showgirls who are grandmothers. I would love to do this for a living... the day I can buy head-to-toe bedazzled flesh-coloured Spanx. ;)


Au revoir,
Michelle

5 comments:

Helen said...

I'll be there tonight -- though not dressed as a showgirl. Or, at least, in my winter weight pasties.

Anonymous said...

I will be there as well, in my winter woolies!

Anonymous said...

I am planning on giving the walk a miss tonight and heading to the gym instead...toooo cold. See you Wednesday.
Lynne

Anonymous said...

it's too cold for me tonight...
Leverne

Anonymous said...

I'm coming out tonight.

Barb