Thursday 11 September 2008

Toronto Women's Half/5K, May 31, 2009


Well, here's something to talk about on the route tomorrow: the first-ever Toronto Women's Half Marathon, on May 31st, 2009. I didn't think anything might lure me away from Alfie Shrubb, which is on the same day next year, but this might be it. Here's what they say about it:

Join over 1,000 women in a celebration of health, fitness and camaraderie in the Toronto Women's Half Marathon & 5k. Run by or linger at the 19k chocolate station. Grab a drink at the Firefighter's Water Station. Enjoy the post run party – great food, free massage and lots more.

Guys are welcome to participate, but they don't qualify for prizes. The site doesn't yet give the time requirements, but it is live and ready for registering -- and there's a cap of 1,000. Funds raised go to pediatric oncology. What do you say, gals? First fee increase happens Nov. 30th.

13 comments:

debbie said...

I'm at work but could not resist a quick response..
What can they be thinking, putting the chocolate at the 19 km point????

Couldn't they wait until the end so we can actually stop and enjoy some?

Either way sounds fab, and I'm in!
Nice change from the Mississauga half.

See you all Saturday,

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Yes, Yes, Yes!!
I'm in....chocolate?! Firefighters?! Who cares if we don't get past the 19k mark; we'll be in heaven! Sounds like a blast; Helen, where did you find this race?!
See you all tomorrow morning at (yawn) 7am... Olwyn

P Dawn said...

well, I might be interested, but don't want to be too effusive about it. The site doesn't give a lot of information, however - like, where the hell is it? I know it's in Toronto, but.........
Cynthia, are you out there? Are you interested in working towards beating out Quebec time? That means the chocolate would have to wait until the end.

Anonymous said...

CHOCOLATE AND FIREFIGHTERS! I'M IN!
SAYS CYNTHIA

Helen said...

I'm champing at the bit to sign up for this one. My only question is, can I get my daughter to do it with me, so I'll have to wait till she gets home from school.

Dawn and everyone, they have a map on the site -- it's a park loop that starts at Sunnybrook (if I recall). Looks a little twisty, but hopefully they'll have volunteers to stop Cynthia from taking the DVP.

Anonymous said...

Firefighters! I’m in!

Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Okay...I'm in too...love chocolate and I'm going to work on warming up to those firefighters. There is a station near me, so maybe I can get some practice there!

59 women have registered already - including a very special Betsy! Glad to see her name there.

One complaint...why did I have to scroll down so far to find my year of birth???? No respect for the elderly, I guess.

Susan

Trish said...

I'm with Rebecca. Firefighters - need we say more!

Anonymous said...

I’m in!
Stacey

P Dawn said...

So...........both Cynthia and I have both registered!!
Can't believe this is really me!!

Eva said...

Ok, Ladies, this looks like a FUN and WILD Race.

I am not sure about the twists and turns in the route. I might not be able to find the firefighters... and end up in DVP with Cynthia.

I'll try to walk on Saturday at 8am, 10K sounds good to me. However, don't wait for me if I'm not there by 8am.

Anonymous said...

I am very interested in this marathon (half)
Libby

Anonymous said...

Signed up this morning... Great to already have a goal for 2009!